Christie's Eggplant


Christie's Eggplant

Christie's eggplant is simply named after the person who gave us this recipe. I have carried the recipe card around for about 30 years now. Christie is my brother's old girlfriend from decades ago. We all really liked Christie, and probably still will if we cross paths again.  This is a very easy recipe, can be made in a larger volume, and depending on what your pantry usually has, can be made on the spur of the moment, when you have some beautiful eggplants. I changed it up a bit today, just because. I added some strips of shiitake mushrooms, and when i baked them with the eggplant slices I added some sliced lemon just to add a spark. I did not have scallions on hand or the back olives, so my pictures represent a slight departure. I encourage you to make it according to the recipe at least once, as i suspect the beauty in this recipe is the balance of all ingredients together.

4 to 6 servings

2 medium eggplants
1/4 c. olive oil
15 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 c. chopped green chilies
1/2 c. sliced scallions
1/4 c. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 small can sliced black olives
1-1/2 c. grated cheddar or jack cheese
1/2 c. sour cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 400. peel eggplant and slice 1/2 inch thick. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350.


remove the lemons before layering in baking dish
In a saucepan, mix all other ingredients except cheese and sour cream. Simmer for 10 minutes.
In a 1-1/2 to 2 QT casserole, layer half the eggplant slices, half the sauce, half the cheese, and repeat. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.


Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving, and garnish with sour cream and any extra scallions or olive slices.

(So now that my variation is finished, and I have tested it, I really like roasting the eggplant slices until they get a little browned, they seem to give them some body that way.)

Comments