Banana Bread

Making batches, and freezing, pre-sliced, makes this a healthy, easy snack.

When we were growing up, my mom just cooked, no recipe books, no blue box mac and cheese. When she did use a cookbook, it was primarily for baking, and the one singular cookbook I remember from my early cooking days was Fannie Farmer--an old edition that didn't even give you oven temperatures, but instead gave directions like "Bake in a moderate oven, cook until done." She collected several Fannie Farmer editions over the years, and had intended on gifting one to each Deetz Kid. I don't know if we all got one, but when I was sixteen, she gave me one from circa 1930. She collected a lot of cook books through the years, but I believe she used them mostly as general reading material, and as a place to write random recipes into the blank end pages. I have some of them. When I moved away one last time, she gave me a few of her older cookbooks.

This recipe comes directly and unadulterated from a more current Fannie Farmer, but it is such an easy, simple, no fuss recipe that makes a perfect banana bread with very few ingredients, I rarely alter it.

When you have three ripe bananas and very little else, so good!

3 ripe bananas, well mashed
2 eggs, well beaten
2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease loaf pan. Mix bananas and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Add walnuts and mix well. Put the batter in the pan and bake for 1 hour. (I use the standard toothpick doneness test). Remove from pan to cool on a rack.  

So easy and I have substituted brown sugar when needed, and also made this with chocolate chips added in too.

Comments